Top Five Communication Techniques in the Workplace
1. Listen with an Open Mind – To be a good communicator, you must first understand how to be a good listener. Facilitate a sense of comfort and ease among your coworkers by reserving judgment and listening with an open mind. The more comfortable your team is in speaking with one another, the more effective your communication will be, which will result in higher efficiency and completion of tasks.
2. Be Articulate – Have a clear understanding of your message. Be able to discuss your points in simple terms, but know how to concisely explain the finer details if necessary. Demonstrated coherency in your communication will give you credibility and enhance trust throughout your team.
3. Have Confidence in your Message – Along with understanding and articulating your message effectively, you must stand behind it. Make it clear why you believe in your point of view and hold firm to your standpoint. You’ll be more credible, and your demonstrated confidence will inspire similar feelings in your coworkers and teammates. A confident team is a productive and efficient team.
4. Encourage Feedback – Try to avoid being “all talk.” Give your audience or team members the opportunity to provide you with feedback. Allow yourself to be open to criticism without taking the feedback personally. Be welcoming of all constructive feedback, and try to approach each conversation and feedback session with an open mind and a willingness to better your communication tactics.
5. Be Appreciative – The old saying goes, “It’s not what you say, but how you say it.” If you speak from a place of gratitude, people notice. Be sure you thank your listeners for their time. It’s a quick and easy way to show gratitude, and your audience will feel appreciated which will in turn reflect positively on you and your message.